Monday 21 October 2013

Ellen DeGeneres Gives $10K To Local Waitress

Ellen DeGeneres Gives $10K To Local Waitress

October 21, 2013, 8:06 amwhomagazine
Ellen DeGeneres gives $10,000 to waitress who paid soldiers' tab
Ellen DeGeneres Gives $10K To Local Waitress
Ellen DeGeneres. Photo: Getty Images
A New Hampshire waitress who picked up the lunch tab of two National Guard soldiers affected by the federal government's shutdown has been repaid – more than 300 times over – by television star Ellen DeGeneres.
Sarah Hoidahl, a waitress in Concord, N.H., just wanted to do a nice thing for the soldiers, so she paid for their lunch. It cost her $27.75 ($28.66). On Friday, DeGeneres squared the tab and then some, giving Hoidahl $27.75 in cash and a check for $10,000.
Sarah Hoidahl, Ellen DeGeneres. Photo: YouTube
Keep up with your favourite celebrities in the pages of WHO Magazine by subscribing now.
An emotional Hoidahl buried her face in her hands and thanked DeGeneres as the talk show host repeated, "You're a good person."
DeGeneres caught wind of Hoidahl's act of kindness when the New Hampshire National Guard posted a picture on its Facebook page. The story spread quickly online, producers saw it and invited Hoidahl to Hollywood. Ellen also gave her a 127cm television.
"In that moment when she opened it and I saw, I just couldn’t even contain my emotions. I just started crying,” she said. "I have medical bills, student loans, some debt to pay off. Obviously, I have a 15-month-old. I do plan on donating some of it to charity."
"It feels like I’m dreaming and I’m going to wake up and I’m going to be like, ‘Oh man, I wish that was real,'" Ms Hoidahl told WMUR-TV